Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Doers and Dreamers.....


On our walk last week along the local Audubon Trail, this was chalked on the concrete at the beginning of the trail: " The hardest step is out the door. Keep Going!"  Yes.


Though we did not see the owlets we had hoped to see on that walk (having waited too long to get out the door,) we did see some marvelous things.


I have always kind of categorized 'creative folk' as either doers or dreamers: those who do the work, or those who just dream and plan, but never really get their hands or brushes dirty, or keep their bobbins full. I know that 'categorization' is a faulty one, for the most part, because I, for one, am both a dreamer and a doer. Lately, however, I have had a life very full of non-work things, and sometimes dreaming is the most productive thing I've been able to do. So I have been checking out books from the library, to take with me when I sat with my mom at her rehab place, or when she was in the hospital, or with my early morning coffee, before the days errands begin.

A lot of the books have been about sketching, and they mostly all say the same thing: Just Do It. I haven't read anything new or earth shattering (or even particularly inspiring) in any of them. None of them will do the sketching, or the painting, or the weaving for me.


So I have been sneaking in a few moments to do quick sketches in my sketchbook - though my sketchbooks have been much fuller by this time, in past years.


I am still not at all happy with the 'new' paper in the Moleskine sketchbook, and that perhaps is also a discouraging factor for my productivity.



Today is another busy day. Busyness is a good thing. But I occasionally need, also, to step IN the door of my studio - and keep going. Work is waiting for me there, and I dream of doing it.



No comments:

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...