Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Summer's end....


We did get up to the cabin for a day, to find that we had won the war with the packrat. It made me feel a little sad, really, and not a little guilty. Poor thing had just chosen to move into the wrong space. The photo above is a new sunset one from the lake there. I've taken so many sunset shots from this very spot over the 30+ years we've been going there! I love this one, even though I know the brilliant red clouds were caused by the fires to the west of us. I also like the colors reflected in the lake, and the Dr. Seuss look of the thistles in the foreground.


This field of flowers is between my house and my Dad's place. There is always something beautiful to be seen on the drive there! This view just feels like the end of summer to me; the season is not yet gone, but it soon will be.


As I determined to do, I have sketched a bit more. I did do my five sketches last week. The one above is of a huge moth that took up residence on my porch for several days. It's wingspan was about 8 inches across. It was a hummingbird hawk moth, I think. I did the sketch on a piece of paper I found while cleaning my studio (a job that took me two days!) It was an old dictionary page that I had used to clean brushes on. I glued it in my sketchbook and just did the sketch in ink and white paint pen on top of it.



This sketch I did while resting with Gus. He rested much longer than I did. He is a resting pro. As you can see, Gus has gotten so big, he took up more than one page in the sketchbook!


... and this little sketch I did today from a photo of my granddaughter that my daughter-in-law had posted on Facebook. I kept it very simple, because I knew I could not do her cuteness justice, no matter how hard I tried! 


See what I mean about the end of summer? This was taken this morning, going out to my Dad's. The sky and the very light says 'fall is nearly here!' I'm OK with that. Fall is my favorite time of year.

No comments:

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...