Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Mellow Yellow!

watercolor in Stillman and Birn Delta sketchbook

I noticed that I seem to have a lot of images in my 'to sketch' folder on the Sktchy App that feature the color yellow. So I have begun to clear them out by sketching them! I have also been experimenting a bit with different media, using some of the many art supplies I 'discovered' recently when I cleaned out my studio closet.

pastel and charcoal on grey paper

watercolor and ink in sketchbook
watercolor and ink in sketchbook

watercolor pencils and ink, but I wish I'd used pastels!
watercolor and colored pencils in sketchbook
The above sketches are all about the same size; about 5"x6" in my sketchbook. The two sketches below are a bit larger, about 6"x8" on pastel paper. I did the one on grey paper first, but was not happy with either Gus or the greyed down color, so I did the same image on white pastel paper, which I had underpainted a bit with acrylic markers. That gave me the brilliant yellow of our new summer comforter, and it's contrast with Gus, which is what I wanted!

pastels on toned paper

pastels and acrylic markers on white pastel paper
I still have many more yellow images in my 'to sketch' queue, but I think I will move on, for now. A couple of these will find their way to my Etsy shop, either as originals or as prints. And I think the final version of Gus just might find itself framed and on my guest room wall, along with tapestries, photos, and paintings of other pets.

1 comment:

Laurie O'Neill said...

Love the one of Gus. It reminds me of an odalisque painting!

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...