Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Cats! An Illustration Project...


Earlier in the year, I did a sketchbook spread of cats, many of which I had found in books from my childhood.


I decided I wanted to challenge myself to learn to make a repeat pattern, so I began with the cat sketches.

I ordered one yard each from two different online sources, https://www.zazzle.com and https://www.spoonflower.com. These had been recommended by illustrators I follow on Instagram. I ordered them at the same time, and ordered 100% cotton from both, using the same pattern source (the photo above,) altering just the size of the repeat. The Spoonflower fabric came about 2 weeks sooner than the other, but that may be because of where they are located in distance from me. It is the larger print fabric. I felt that the cats, are 'sharper' on this piece of fabric, but again, that may be because of the size of the repeat. It was also a bit less expensive that the other fabric. Both fabrics washed well, and they feel like they are the same material.


The smaller print is perfect for face masks, so, with about half of it, I made masks for loved ones. I still have not decided what I will use the larger print for.

Who is that masked maker?


One of the mask recipients sent me a lovely photo of herself in the mask, and I couldn't resist sketching it, with a collaged 'mask' of scrap fabric for my morning sketch today!


I also decided to use a bit of the smaller print for the background fabric behind these two silly little tapestries of Ringo and Poe. I've had this old frame for years, wanting to find just the right thing to put in it. I'm not sure if I will leave it like this permanently, but for now, at least, I'm happy with it.







No comments:

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...