Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New painting...


I think I have finished this painting. It is larger than those I have been doing: it is 16"x20". I have discovered that I am wanting 'less' in my paintings, as I am wanting less, or more simplicity, in my life. This may be too much nothing-ness for some people. I have no idea of how it will be viewed. But it looks pretty good to me in a simple black frame! Quite zen.

It will be called 'The House Call.' Oil on canvas. Lest you think simplicity is an artistic cop-out, I am finding that it is very difficult to paint something this 'stark' successfully. I hope this one has succeeded. Another is in the works....

6 comments:

ringadal said...

Personally, I love this painting. I find the whole painting intriguing, leaving to the viewers imagination who the doctor is, is he at home, on a call, why is he on the call, and it can be looked at as positive or sad depending on your point of view. I like minimalist paintings, I find it very beautiful, and I love the background. I find backgrounds particularly difficult and I think you did a beautiful job on this one.

Susan

Mary said...

Maybe it is Miss Polly's doctor's bag.
Seriously, I admire anyone who can do such a beautiful and evocative work. I also love the background, the colours are wonderful.

K Spoering said...

Who is Miss Polly?

K Spoering said...

Oh no! I googled Miss Polly and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zjAPxNH6Q8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I used to know that song in grade school but had deleted it from my memory. Now it's back in my head, going round and round. Thanks Mary! ;-o

Anonymous said...

I love this painting. The well worn Dr.s case evokes a feeling of history and comfort. i would be proud to own a painting of this calibre. Thank you for sharing your work. Megan

Sue Schwarz said...

Love everything about this painting. Of course the skill to execute it so well It also evokes the memories of actually having our family doctor pay a house call with such a bag that he pulled things out of to help us get well from measles, mumps or some other ailment. of course, that was long ago and far away ;-)

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...