Saturday, December 28, 2013

Out with the old, in with the New....




Last year, I filled two sketchbooks. The first was a red Moleskin, with it's lovely cream pages that resist watercolor. The second was a lovely little square spiral-bound book, with beautiful white heavy watercolor paper inside. I enjoyed working in both books. I filled the second one on Christmas day, so I got to begin a new one the day after Christmas! I am again using a Moleskin, and was amazed again at the resist of the paper to watercolor, and at how much I like the effect that gives.

I keep a sketchbook just for me, and you know that, though I might sketch almost daily, I rarely share my sketches here (or anywhere.) If I think I will show my sketches, they feel like I must make them 'pretty,' or at least 'viewable.' I don't want that pressure in my sketchbook.

I usually start out the year with a self portrait - the original 'selfie,' I guess! The one I did in last years Moleskin sketchbook is below. It was of my child self. I looked so sad in the school photo that I sketched from, I guess I felt the need to comfort my young self with the surrounding words. The sketch above is one I did in my new sketchbook. I am reticent to post it, because the last time I posted a self-sketch, several people told me it didn't look at all like me, though I had felt it did. I guess I didn't put in any wrinkles. (Notice that I left out the wrinkles in my new sketch, as well! Hey! It's MY sketch, and I can see myself as I'd like to be if I want to!)


This morning I did the sketch below. I have always wanted one of those artist-model-hands for my studio, so I gave myself one for Christmas this year! Right now, it holds a ball of yarn, but what it holds for me will change as time passes. It may hold paintbrushes, small paintings, or large secrets. Who knows?


I am always so excited to begin a new sketchbook. It is like a new year: seemingly empty now, but chock full of possibilities. I am intensely psyched to see what the year will have me putting in my lovely black Moleskin.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful sketches Kathy! I hope you don't get two of these I seem to be having trouble signing in. I really enjoy sketches for the more spontaneous quality and the way they tell the story of the artists impression of the moment. I am trying a new sketchbook this year, a Stillman and Birn and it remains to be seen if I miss my Moleskine. Wishing you and your sketchbook many adventures and good times this year.

K Spoering said...

Janette, I believe that is what my second sketchbook last year was. It was a gift. Lovely heavy paper, but not a huge number of pages. I loved painting in it, and did not realize I 'missed' my Moleskin until I began in one again. I'll be interested to hear how you like the change.

Rebecca Mezoff said...

I always love seeing your sketches Kathy. They are wonderful... and a little window into your "artist brain". Thank you SO much for sharing them! They are inspirational.

Mary said...

Thanks for the inspiration from me too. I don't sketch and now think that I may never do so. But is it inspiring to see you doing it regularly. I am at least trying to do a doodle a day and one day may even break out and sketch. But is is foreign and rather frightening for me. One day!

K Spoering said...

Mary, most of my sketches are also just 'doodles.' I don't spend any more than 15-20 minutes on any one of them, as they are purely for my enjoyment. Check out a good drawing book from your library, like one of Betty Edwards', Mona Brookes, or Bert Dodson's books or, better yet, Jeanne Carbonetti's less demanding Yoga of Drawing, and just have fun going through it.

I think it's funny that you regard your work as 'doodles' (as in less-than-sketches) and I regard mine as 'sketches' (as in less-than-real-drawings) but what is valuable is just that we do them!

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...