Monday, June 6, 2016

More from my sketchbook.....


While I am finding it hard to get into the studio to work, as we have been having frequent houseguests, I have been doing a bit in the sketchbook. The reason I can do one and not the other, is that my weaving time needs to be longer, more intensive, and without frequent interruptions, or I find myself making errors that take more time to correct than they did to create!

Sketchbook time can just use bits and pieces of time - moments, even. I usually sketch out a page somewhat tentatively in pencil,  over my morning coffee. Then I can just sit down with it in moments throughout the day, and add color to the skin, or do a small amount of detail work here or there. Five minutes here and there adds up to a simple sketch over a day's time. I can also work on a sketch while on the phone or while watching TV - an impossibility while weaving.

Anyway, here are a couple more from last week's sketchbook. The top image was inspired again by a photo on #Sktchy, and was submitted for the weekend challenge, which was 'texture.' Of course I had to do a fiber texture (the crochet cap)!

The sketch below is of two of my grandchildren. I'm not as happy with it as I am with the others. It is so much harder to sketch people you love, and the results are rarely satisfactory. Sad, but true for most everyone I know who sketches or paints.


No comments:

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...