Thursday, October 14, 2010

Starry, Starry Nights...


One of the highlights of my time in San Francisco was a visit to the de Young Museum to see the Impressionist exhibit that is there now. I had seen Van Gogh's "Starry Night" (above) on exhibit before (it was not in this exhibit), but I had never seen the "Starry Night Over the Rhone" (below) before.


I love both paintings, but I truly L-O-V-E the Rhone one best! I really wasn't even aware that there were two Starry Night paintings, though I have a number of Van Gogh books and I knew he often repeated themes. This painting is so beautiful in person! There were a number of stunning pieces in the exhibit, but this one called people back to it. The colors are still so intense and beautiful. It reminded me, too, of the night about a year ago in Maine when my friends and I stood in awe, looking at the big dipper over a lake. Van Gogh captured that much better than I did! Thank goodness he didn't have PhotoShop!


I could have stood looking at the Starry Night painting for hours. But it was his Self Portrait in Autumn that, as is always the case with his self-portraits, brought me to tears. As did one of his bedroom paintings, which I had seen before, but which always seems so intimate and personal.

Oh, to create like Van Gogh! But what would I have to sacrifice to do that? An ear? My perceived emotional control? Would it be worth that? I truly do want to keep both of my ears.....

2 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

I want to keep both of my ears too- but I know what you mean- love your Van Goghish self portrait!!

Theresa said...

I never knew there was a second starry starry night either! They are both amazing, as is all his work.
That self portrait, perfect!

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...