Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Keeping my inner Grinchy-Scrooge at bay...


I am not a person who revels in all aspects of this holiday season. Usually at about this point, I am wanting to find the person responsible for it's creation (and no, I don't think it was Jesus who foisted Christmas on us) and deck him with a big bough of holly. I think part of my grouchiness is because I seem to have to put all creative work on hold for a month or so, while I shop, clean, totally un- and re-do my home decor, bake, and be sociable. Those things are not all bad - not at all. In fact, they can be quite wonderful. BUT... there is so much of it all crammed into this one month that I have no time to sit quietly at loom or easel and keep the 'artist-that-lives-in-and-makes-demands-on-me' happy. As I have said before, when I can't be creative I get quite grumpy. This year I also am helping organize an exhibit that is now at deadline time and that has also been requiring a few hours of my attention each day, so I have actually put off the Christmas stuff until right now, less than two weeks from the day. (I know: excuses, excuses!)

So... in spite of the fact that I have NOT decorated the house, let alone cleaned it, I have been trying to do a bit of creative work each day. Yesterday I tried a new recipe that intrigued me. It is for "Fruitcake Cookies" and I found it in the new issue of Victoria magazine. I'm not a fruitcake fan, but my father-in-law is, so I wanted to make them to send him. Actually, they are very good with a cup of coffee!

Today I did another creative project that I found in another magazine, and that you can see online at Amy Butler Designs (look for Cards and Wooden Signs in free patterns). I thought it was clever, and would go with the woodsy things I always put on my mantle. I painted it in acrylic on canvas, so I can paint over it in oils if I want to later on. What I like about it is that it looks like a giant Christmas card. It has motivated me to get out the mantle decorations and start 'hall decking.'
And, of course, Gus is quite certain that every new thing that is brought out is a kitty toy, or at least, needs his personal inspection.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wed. 12/17/08 12:49pm ....what a totally honest post about having to put on the total happiness front.....for those of us who have lost spouses and whose children live far away, this post strikes a chord...thank you from Janet on the East Coast who struggles very hard to keep spirits level, let alone up.....fiber helps

Jennifer said...

I am there with you - between preparing music for concerts and services and adding in a birthday and anniversary - there is no solitude in December. Hang in there January is comin'!

stringplay said...

I second that emotion!

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...