Friday, June 1, 2012

Final Paris post... for now...


Several of you who have followed my recent trip to Paris have asked if I got to take photos of the places in my small old souvenir photo book, which I posted here.


I did take photos of several of the sites, though I did not intentionally replicate the viewpoint. In fact, I did not take the little treasure out and about with me. So any shots were really more coincidental.

The two above shots were of or from the Tuileries Gardens. The little shot of the gardens from the book is below. It shows the end of the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, and the Arc du Carrousel. It took me two photos, at different times, to get all that in. The photographer must have shot the old photo from somewhere inside the Louvre. I shot the top photo in the evening, including the end of the Louvre Palace, the Eiffel Tower (lit for the night), and the Arc du Carrousel. The second photo is from the Tuileries Gardens, including the Louvre, the Musée d'Orsay, and the Eiffel Tower.


The old photo of the Left Bank booksellers is one of my favorites.



My attempts show that they look pretty much the same! Same old green boxes attached to the wall. The old photo was clearly taken from further down the Seine than we went, but I did manage to get a couple of photos with Notre Dame in the background.


My shot of the Hôtel de Ville was a complete accident! 
 


I saw this impressive old building across the Seine with a lot of activity in front of it and shot a photo before a bus blocked my view. Then I asked my son if he knew what it was. Checking the map and his iPhone, we found it was the Hotel, and the French Open was to begin that day, with much of the activity taking place there (thus, the white tents in front.) Amazingly, I shot almost exactly the same view the photographer of the old photo had taken!

I did shoot a few photos of Notre Dame from the Left Bank, as it seems the old photo above was shot, as well. However, we did not go as far down the Seine as this photographer did. We saw the cathedral from mostly the front end.



These are all the photos that I took that compare with the old ones. With them, and the hundreds of others I took, I have put together my own book of Souvenirs de Paris!

1 comment:

Mary said...

I like the way you have made your photos black and white, it is so much easier to see the similarities with the wonderful pictures you found - how amazing was that find?!

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...