Monday, May 5, 2008

Unicorns in springtime...


I get email announcements from the Metropolitan Museum to keep myself updated about what is happening there, just in case they show my work without notifying me, I guess.

(Well, not really, so far anyway. But you, too, can put your work in the Met here.)

In the email I got from the Met today, they had this to say in the segment about the Cloisters:

The Unicorn Tapestries
The seven individual hangings known as "The Unicorn Tapestries," are among the most beautiful and complex works of art from the late Middle Ages that survive. Luxuriously woven in fine wool and silk with silver and gilded threads, the tapestries vividly depict scenes associated with a hunt for the elusive, magical unicorn. As early as the 17th century, they were collected and exhibited together because they illustrate the pursuit of the elusive unicorn so completely and in astonishing detail.
However, they were surprisingly difficult to photograph. The Chudnovsky brothers (distinguished industry professors at the Polytechnic University of New York) assisted the Museum in 2003 in the merging of a series of digital photographs taken of the tapestries during their cleaning. PBS aired a program on its science show NOVA that documents the challenges in photographing them.

Watch the NOVA segment here.

The Met also has the resulting images online now, so they can be looked at in clear detail.
Much better than the photos I shot of them, as the Cloisters has only natural low lighting. But mine have memories attached (and my husband in the doorway)!

1 comment:

Tommye McClure Scanlin said...

Thanks for these links, Kathy!
Tommye

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...