Friday, February 20, 2009

Wooster at Vega...


The Illustration Friday topic this week is Instinct. I am posting this oil painting of Wooster at Vega Lake, where our cabin is. It is Wooster's favorite place in the whole world, and that is because his instinct is to check out every plant and tree there, to see what's been there before him. He smells deer and fox, elk and possibly even moose, bear and opossum, porcupine and grouse, mice and chipmunks and snakes, and who knows what all else. Pure heaven for a dog's nose! The old dog becomes a pup again up there... and pays for it later.

My instinct this week has been to drag out some unfinished paintings and either finish them or pitch them. This is one I guess I finished, though it may still be in the pitch-able category, too. What I don't like about it is that it looks like I painted every shrub and leaf. I didn't; I painted large areas, like the foreground was just one large mass of darks, then I put some lights here and there. Also, it's just too homogeneous. But that is what the lake looks like in the summer; green, green, and more green, with a few areas of other colors. It is 16x20 inches.

9 comments:

Asja said...

a beautiful piece of work! you did a great job!

Unknown said...

great painting!!!

Debra Keirce said...

Wooster looks VERY happy!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful painting and don't listen to your critic voice...at least not in this one! :)

Anonymous said...

I hink this is lovely and so full of atmosphere. I love the foliage and the colors of the lake and mountains, and its such a sweet image of your dog.

Sue said...

I think it is a wonderful picture of your beautiful dog and I LOVE the mountains. The foreground flora is pretty, but I may tend to agree with you about them. Overall....don't throw it away. It is too precious.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Beautiful painting. Makes me want to visit this place.

studio lolo said...

I pick apart every piece of art I do if I look at it too long!

I love the setting and the meaning of this painting. Really nice!

sarah said...

the hills in the distance are poetic, well done

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...