Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Yellow is not always mellow...

Painting under pressure is not the best way to paint! I have been trying to get a few small pieces done for the gallery here, as all of my small ones are gone.

Years ago my watercolor teacher/mentor/friend told me not to ever bother painting yellow flowers, as they just don't turn out well. Yellow flowers have a special translucence that is hard to replicate in paint, and there really aren't any good yellow paint colors that are natural enough for the delicacy of flowers. I forgot that sage advice until I had this painting almost finished. I kept trying to 'fix' it, then I remembered and had one of those forehead slapping, "Now I know what she meant!" moments. This is a yellow hibiscus. The painting is 5"x7", oil on gessoed masonite board. I am not thrilled with it, but am going to let it dry, as is, for now. I need to move on to other things - like packing for my trip to Boston next week!

No comments:

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...