Tuesday, September 29, 2009

More National Parks...

I have not ever been to an 'ugly' National Park. Last night, Ken Burns' series talked more about Yellowstone and Yosemite, but also about Mesa Verde, here in Colorado. It is an amazing place, well worth preserving. In fact, I live fairly near to several wonderful places. Here in Grand Junction we have the Colorado National Monument, and Burns talked about how those came about, as well (Thank you, Teddy Roosevelt!). Several weeks ago, I went with two of my grandchildren on the train to Rocky Mountain National Park, and they became Junior Park Rangers there.


The tapestries here are ones I did (in my 'travel sketch' series) of some of Utah's gorgeous parks. The one of Zion is of the "Great white Throne" which towers above the park. The one of Bryce National Park is of the amazing 'hoodoos' covered with a dusting of snow, which is how we saw them in April several years ago. And the one below is of the Arches National Park in nearby Moab. I am especially glad that these parks are protected, because there is no doubt in my mind that they would otherwise be totally ruined by now. As it is, some spectacular petroglyphs in the Arches were vandalized with paint a number of years ago, and were permanently damaged. What is wrong with people that they do not see the value and necessity of Beauty?

Each of these tapestries are 8x10". They were all mounted together, and sold to a private collector (and, presumably, a National Park lover).

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Those are great tapestries and I'm sure fun to create. I can still hear the enthusiasm!

Sue Schwarz said...

I share your love of the National Parks and for the men who preserved them for us to appreciate. I have been to many of them and they are awesome. I especially loved Mesa Verde and Chaco Canyon. What wonderful treasures.

lauren lane said...

I think the National Forests and all of Nature should be preserved, especially in areas where the building has gone out of control. We need some trees and "green" stuff around...or we will go totally mad.

OzWeaver said...

I love how you keep posting tapestries from the past! I wonder how many you have! It inspires me to get weaving...not to mention that these national park works of yours are wonderful!

K Spoering said...

Thanks, all! I hope you are all watching the series, too, or, if you can't get it yet, will see it soon.

I have LOTS of tapestries yet to share! I've been doing this for a loooong time. I should be made a National Monument, as I feel that I am starting to show some signs of wear.

This series has made me want to do some more in this little series.

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...