Friday, April 11, 2008

How I spent my morning...


Vice-president Dick Cheney came to our little city this morning. His supposed task was to raise money for a local candidate. My suspicion is that he also was making a visit to his Halliburton interests, which are very active here right now. At any rate, what it cost us as taxpayers to get him here for the 1-hour luncheon he attended was, I'm quite sure, MUCH more than what he could have possibly have raised in this neck of the woods!
My friend and I decided we had to be a part of the Peace protest sparked by his visit. We are both pacifists, based on our faith, and have both protested war from way back in Viet Nam days. War is no better now than it was then. So we stood in the chilly wind for 3 hours and held up our signs. Dick Cheney (in the second black car in the middle picture) waved at us, and my sweet, christian, pacifistic friend yelled at him, "F*<&^%$ B&^%*@%!" I about dropped my Grandma sign! I asked her, "Where on earth did that come from?" She said, "I don't know. It just felt appropriate!" It's a good thing I'm not a blackmailer.... but I AM a blogger! Putting it on the internet, D, 'just felt appropriate!'

3 comments:

Tommye McClure Scanlin said...

Thank you for having the courage to make a stand for your beliefs, Kathy!
Tommye

Anonymous said...

Your pacifist friend took the words right out of my mouth! Thanks for taking the time to stand in the chilly wind for all of us.

Julie

K Spoering said...

Thanks Tommye and Julie. Sometimes it's hard to admit that we feel strongly about things that might be offensive to other people, especially people we care about. But there are things that offend me, too, and war is pretty close to the top of that list. How can we ALL, no matter how we feel politically, not want peace?

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...