Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Challenge of the day...


The dry-waller has been here all day yesterday and today, fixing the damage the plumbing did to the dining room ceiling. I need to run interference between the pets and him, but have also wanted to be working, so I've opted to do a bit of painting, as I get less cranky when I am interrupted while painting than while weaving. I have been wanting to begin something a bit larger than I've done lately, so decided to start on a piece based on this photo of Gus, perched on my set of Nonesuch Dickens' books, out of Booker's reach. I actually have blocked Gus in completely, but now am at a place where I have a decision to make. Do I want to leave the books as the basically monochromatic Dickens' books, as in the photo? Or do I want more colorful books?


Such as these, from an ad in Real Simple magazine...


Or these or the ones below, from photos I took in a wonderful book shop in Maine?


Of course, the subject is really Gus, so perhaps the books should be simple, so as not to have competing eye targets. I merged two of the photos, to see what I think, and right now, I am thinking I like the original Dickens books best. However, I also think maybe it's time to quit on it for the day, and sleep on the decision, giving my eyes a fresh start on the problem tomorrow!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hmmmm - that is hard. Have you tried looking at the books having more color, but being all the same???

tommye said...

Hi Kathy,
This made me laugh, when I opened your blog and saw Gus giving me the stink eye!
I think your painting will work in any way you choose as long as you capture that great attitude!!

Julia Kelly said...

or just paint a whole series of books stacked like that- cause they are gorgeous!

K Spoering said...

Tommye, he was probably giving Booker the stink eye! That's one of the places he sits and taunts the dog, because Booker can't reach him there.

Tal Landeau said...

Since Gus is a somewhat monochromatic cat, I especially like the contrast with the colorful books. Also, the stylistic lettering and subjects of the vintage books could be a place where you play a little. I'm a sucker for kitty art!

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...