Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tea for two...


I discovered I did not have the best color for some shadow areas, and could not find the colors to either order or blend well. So I resorted to my favorite 'fix' for this dilemma: I tea-stained (over-dyed) some of the two colors I needed to have shadow color for. The colors themselves were very close to what I need, but too bright. That is the best scenario for tea staining, as tea dulls that offensive brightness.


Good old black caffeinated Lipton works best for me. I have tried other brands, but they don't stain as well, and some rinse out. I have done this many times, and it is a permanent solution. It will not wash out, after it has been simmered a in strong tea solution for 20-30 minutes, then is allowed to cool, and rinsed well.


I once confessed to Yael Lurie that I do this, on occasion. She said it is a well established practice; that they have done it and that Jean Pierre's father's studio used to do it frequently. She said the same thing I had learned; that tea is a permanent stain/dye. That legitimized the practice, as far as I'm concerned! See the difference it made? The brighter colors that I started with are on the outside, and the stained, more subdued colors are hanging to dry between them. This will give me the perfect shades for those shadow areas!

4 comments:

Sue S said...

how cool is that. Thanks for the tip. I don't know why I did not think of it, but what a trick for those shading problems.

Sharon said...

I would never have thought of such a simple solution!

Anonymous said...

I have always done this to white shirts! I don't like brilliant white, and it certainly doesn't do me any favours, but tea makes them a nice ivory colour which I can live with much more happily.

Liz said...

This is a great idea for getting customized colors. And we always have the Liptons loose tea in the pantry. I've often dyed clothes with tea (and coffee) but usually while I'm still wearing them. :-)

String Theory

  Ok, I don’t know anything about string theory, except maybe what I see on The Big Bang. But there is an excellent fiber exhibit right now ...